According to Market Watch, young Americans (11 to 20 years old) command an influence and purchasing power to the tune of 200 billion dollars each year.
Generation I: Influence Beyond Their Years
What is unique about these young shoppers is the influence they wield within their families. Parents, grandparents and other adults look to them for advice and opinions on buying products. These tweens, teens and 20 years-olds have so much influence that they are being referred to as Generation I. With such robust buying power, the clout of this demographic can not be ignored.
Tapping Into Generation I
To capture their attention and tap into the deeply influential pocket of these kids (shoppers), you need to get inside their minds.
However, to know what products they really want, you must become a savvy marketer by viewing them in their natural habitat. Social media like Facebook and Twitter are the environments where this demographic feels the most at home. Develop ways in which you can communicate with and observe these shoppers online and through social media.
To gain these influencers’ attention, you must know and understand what is trendy for the year. Equipped with this knowledge, all that is left is to display your hot “must-have” items.
Generation I : Jewelry and Fashion Trends
Here are a few trends Generation I will be looking for in the upcoming year. In addition to this is a quick reference, you should still invest the time to do your own investigations using social media.
- Nude Colors – chic and versatile.
- Floral Prints – girly, feminine.
- Combination of Colors – red-trimmed bags with black for the primary color.
- Chains – think Chanel style.
- Crocodile prints – classic, but wild.
- Leather – worn in satchel styles.
- Knitted, but not to heavy for Spring.
- Narrow scarves about 2″ to 3″ wide
- Colors – florals, nudes and bright colors
- Cowboy-style belt buckles – the bigger, the better!
- Long belts that can wrap around
- Narrow or extremely wide
- Bold statement pieces
- Over-sized bracelets
- Extra long earrings
- All metal earrings
- Animals – snakes, elephants, birds, even bugs
Now that you have some jewelry and fashion trends to focus on, show the teens and their moms how the merchandise in your shop follows these trends. Remember, it is all Continue reading “Harness The Power Of Generation I” »